Jobs Events Advertise

Hawaii releases list of hundreds missing since wildfire

Australian Associated Press -

Hawaii officials have released the names of 338 people still missing more than two weeks after the deadliest US wildfire in more than a century swept through the resort town of Lahaina.

The list, compiled by the FBI, includes only people whose full names are known and who were reported missing by someone for whom authorities have verified contact information.

The death toll from the August 8 fire on the island of Maui stands at 115 but officials have warned that figure is likely to rise substantially, with search teams still sifting through the ashes.

In releasing the names late on Thursday, authorities urged anyone who knows that someone on the list is safe or has additional information that might help locate them, to contact the FBI.

Officials also encouraged relatives to submit the names of anyone else still missing and to provide DNA samples to assist in identifying remains.

The number of families that have provided DNA is lower than authorities had hoped thus far, making a difficult job even more challenging.

"We also know that once those names come out, it can and will cause pain for folks whose loved ones are listed," Maui County Police chief John Pelletier said.

"This is not an easy thing to do but we want to make sure that we are doing everything we can to make this investigation as complete and thorough as possible."

Officials had said earlier in the week that they had a running list of 1000 to 1100 people still unaccounted for.

But they warned that the tally included some people with only a single name, some duplicate listings and some people whose genders were unclear.

As of Thursday afternoon, an additional 1732 people initially reported missing had been found, officials said.

Many families have waited anxiously for news about missing loved ones after the wildfire tore through Lahaina at lightning speed, fuelled by high winds from a passing hurricane and dry conditions.

Survivors, some of whom jumped into the Pacific Ocean to escape the flames, have said they had little or no warning, prompting officials to review the island's emergency alert protocols.

The fire is the deadliest in the United States since a 1918 forest fire in Minnesota and Wisconsin killed more than 450.

On Thursday, Maui County sued Hawaiian Electric for failing to shut down its equipment despite warnings that the high winds could knock down power lines.

"We are very disappointed that Maui County chose this litigious path while the investigation is still unfolding," the company said in response to a request for comment.

Australian Associated Press

   Related   

Papua New Guinea massacre 'very disturbing': Albanese
Anthony Albanese has labelled the massacre of more than 50 people killed in tribal violence in remote Papua New Guinea as "very...
Tess Ikonomou 19 Feb 2024
Trek to raise funds for First Nations Lived Experience Centre
A dedicated group of friends are gearing up for a trek to Mount Everest Base Camp, all in the name of raising deadly funds for B...
Giovanni Torre 16 Feb 2024
Data science shown to expedite return of ancestral Indigenous remains
The return of the ancestral human remains of Australian and other Indigenous peoples held in anthropological collections could b...
Giovanni Torre 16 Feb 2024
Debate rages as Nova Peris claims Aboriginal flag ‘misappropriated’ by Palestine protesters
Former Labor Senator Nova Peris has sparked debate by arguing the Indigenous flag and chants have been misappropriated at pro-Pa...
Dechlan Brennan 9 Feb 2024

   Australian Associated Press   

Partner sues prisons over Indigenous inmate's death
A woman is suing the NSW prison system and inmate healthcare service over the death in custody of her partner after a coroner fo...
Duncan Murray 15 Feb 2024
Uluru resort could hit the market as owners mull sale
The Indigenous Land and Sea Corporation is exploring options for the Ayers Rock Resort, the only place for tourists to stay when...
Rudi Maxwell 15 Feb 2024
Darlington set for National Indigenous Cricket Championships return
Australian international Hannah Darlington is set to return to the National Indigenous Cricket Championships after being selecte...
Callan Morse 15 Feb 2024
Tasmania to field youthful men’s squad at National Indigenous Cricket Championships
Tasmania has announced a youthful men’s squad for this year’s National Indigenous Cricket Championships, the tournament set to t...
Callan Morse 15 Feb 2024