A man who admitted harassing Indigenous ex-ABC journalist Stan Grant online has been ordered not to contact the reporter after having a charge dropped on mental health grounds.
Michael Steven Davis, 41, faced one charge of using a carriage service to threaten serious harm after other charges were withdrawn earlier in proceedings.
Deputy chief magistrate Theo Tsavdaridis on Thursday dismissed the remaining charge against Davis on the grounds of his mental illness, releasing him into the care of a clinical psychologist for two years.
He also issued a two-year apprehended violence order, ordering Davis to avoid all contact with Grant or his partner, ABC sport journalist Tracey Holmes.
A special order was made to stop Davis using social media to contact either of the couple.
The 41-year-old was present in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court for the judgment.
Davis's lawyer previously told the court his client intended to meet Grant and apologise for the abuse.
Grant cited racial abuse as one of the reasons for stepping down as host of the ABC show Q+A, using his final program in May this year to speak directly to his abusers.
"To those who have abused me and my family, I would just say — if your aim was to hurt me, well, you've succeeded," he said at the time.
Lifeline 13 11 14
beyondblue 1300 22 4636
Aboriginal Counselling Services 0410 539 905
Esther Linder - AAP