Podcast comments place Brisbane Bronco's young gun Selwyn Cobbo at centre of controversy

Jarred Cross
Jarred Cross Published January 9, 2023 at 11.11am (AWST)

Broncos' star Selwyn Cobbo has addressed his controversial comments questioning Kevin Walters coaching abilities after his chat on the Back of the 135 podcast resurfaced at the weekend.

Brisbane coach Walters has been at the helm since 2021, the same year Cobbo made his NRL debut.

The 20-year-old was blunt in his assessment of Walters on his October episode of the podcast.

"He's a good person, like a good bloke, but I don't think he's a good coach," Cobbo said.

"He's not the best coach but he's alright. He's just a good person but I don't reckon he's a coach.

"Even though he has experienced footy, he's been to all those grand finals and that but I feel like he's not a coach. But he's a good bloke, he's a good person (and) does a lot for the club."

The 25-career-gamer and Queensland State of Origin representative repeated the point several times before adding he finds Walters' methods "a bit weird".

In a statement released by the Broncos on Sunday, Cobbo backtracked on the comments.

"It was two guys chatting and joking about silly things... taken out of context," he said.

"The fact is that Kev is a very good coach, as are all of our coaches at the Broncos. I was lucky enough to play Origin for Queensland last year and that is off the back of the coaching of Kev and his team," Cobbo said.

"Kev has taught me a lot since coming into the NRL squad and provided me with great support as I adjusted to the professionalism of NRL.

"I was late to training a few times and instead of cutting me, he educated me and supported me.

"When I felt burnt out late in the year, Kev rested me and when he thought I was ready he gave me more responsibilities."

Cobbo said he reached out to Walters to apologise and extended the regret to his family and wider club.

Further adding to the headaches embroiling Brisbane and the young star, Cobbo has drawn attention for revelations he walked out on their round 24 season-defining match against Parramatta because "we were getting flogged".

The match against the Eels presented as a last gasp at nabbing their first finals berth since 2019 after the Broncos endured a sensational fall down the ladder from fourth place to eighth as the season came drew to a close.

The 31-6 half time scoreline in Parramatta's favour was enough to see Cobbo out, who sat out of the match with fatigue.

"I think I sat out that game. But they'll make you go to the game and watch," Cobbo said on the Back of the 135 podcast.

"I left at like half-time 'cause we were getting flogged. I just sneaked out"

It was a catastrophic blow to Brisbane's season, losing 53-6 before falling short against the Dragons in the final home-and-away round sewing up their position in ninth spot.

Cobbo played 18 games in 2022, establishing himself within the Broncos long-term setup and made his state of Origin debut with the Maroons.

   Related   

   Jarred Cross   

Download our App

@natindigtimes
Article Audio

Disclaimer: This function is AI-generated and therefore may mispronounce.

National Indigenous Times

Disclaimer: This function is AI-generated and therefore may mispronounce.